Welcome to the Library at Westside School! What follows is a brief overview of the library, so you know how it works.
- Students in pre-kindergarten through fourth grade visit the library once a week to explore the books, to enjoy a read aloud, to learn library skills, etc.
- ALL students have been issued library cards that will remain in the library. No need to worry about losing them!
- Library hours will be 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday, Wednesday, Thursday AND 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Tuesday. This means lots of time to read, check out books, and have fun in the library!
- The loaning period for library materials is one week for students in pre-kindergarten through second grade and two weeks in third through eighth grade. Items will be due back to the library on the day the student has library class. Please see the Library Schedule on the website to confirm your child’s Library Day (see link to website below.)
- Students are permitted to have up to three books checked out at any given time. Exceptions will be made for students needing books for research and other academic purposes.
- Students in pre-kindergarten through second grade are permitted to check out only one book at a time during library class, while third grade students and older may check out two books at a time.
- If a student has a book that is more than one week overdue, they will not be able to check out another book until that one is returned.
- If necessary or if requested by the parent, a student may be limited to only one book at a time.
- If a book is damaged or lost while checked out to a student, the parent, guardian, or student will be responsible for either replacing or paying for the item.
- There are no late fees for library materials.
Westside’s Online Catalog
The library at Westside School has its own online catalog where you can search for books and more! You can access the online catalog from this link: http://10.0.10.238:8080/researcher#_ From here you can Log In to place books on hold, check your child’s library account, write book reviews, etc.
To log in:
- Click Log In on the top left portion of the screen
- Enter the User ID, which is the student’s library barcode. Keep an eye out for an email coming from the Westside School library, which will inform you of your child’s library bar code!
- Enter the Password. The default password is the student’s last name, not case sensitive.
- From here you can renew books, place books on hold, see what books are checked out, etc.
Westside’s BOOK FAIR
Mark those calendars! Westside School will be hosting another fantastic Book Fair on October 6, 7, and 8. Students will preview the fair on Friday, October 3. Get a jump start on holiday shopping with wonderful selections from Scholastic Books and Usborne Publishing!
Book Donations and Library Volunteers
Book donations are welcome! If you are interested in donating gently used books, especially hard covers, please contact me at email@example.com.
I am also looking for parent volunteers to help in the library during the school year. Work involves shelving books, straightening shelves, and other easy library projects. If interested, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit Westside School’s library webpage for more information: http://www.westsideschool.org/classrooms/specialty/library-class
If you ever have any questions or concerns, do not hesitate to contact me!
Here’s to a fantastic school year!
Kristin Otto, Library/Media Specialist